Trindy's, BK, Skittles, and a Goldendoodle

 

It's been a long time since my last blog entry.  I know I've typed that way too many times, but things have been a bit insane since February of this year.  I'm not going to go into a deep dive on anything, and I'm going to avoid talking about the pandemic.  I just figured it would be best to at least acknowledge there has been a great amount of craziness in the world since February.  Let's move on now.  Seriously.  Let's all move forward in a positive way.  Whatever that means best to you, I mean it.  Move forward in your best way.  




I picked up a bag of Skittles recently.  If you haven't had Skittles in a long time, they are still close to the same as the great pack of candy that we all enjoyed since the '80's.  The biggest problem is that somewhere along the way they replaced lime flavored Skittles with green apple.  Why in the world would anyone pick green apple over lime?  Green apple flavor is disgusting, and it is probably enough of a bad change that no one should ever buy Skittles again.  If you have a friend that works for Skittles, tell them to bring back the lime flavor.  Otherwise, I'm out on this.  


I know I've reviewed Burger King in the past, but there is a new revelation that must be shared.  Burger King fries are the truth when it comes to fast food fries.  They are tasty as can be, and they are incredibly consistent.  Each fry is crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  They aren't quite what I would consider to be fat or steak fries, but they are hefty enough to have some good fluffy potato inside each fry.  Here's the problem.  Burger King's prices are STUPIDLY HIGH.  A large order of fries costs $2.99.  They also don't seem to have a large enough order to make the purchase worth the cash.  Even worse is the idea that a large Coke costs $3.38.  $3.38!!!!  That's $2.38 more expensive than a large Coke at McDonald's!  That's enough of a difference to just get extra fries at McDonald's for the price.  This is why there is never a big wait at Burger King, and McDonald's is always packed.  Way to go Burger King!  Greed kills.  


A quick break in the review of wonderful food to review the joys of a 10-week old Goldendoodle puppy.  Our family adopted Hobbes this week, and we are on day 6 of him being part of our family.  He is insanely fluffy and soft, and he loves to just sit in a lap and have his belly rubbed.  He's very affectionate, and he's painfully cute.  Hobbes is very smart, as my wife has already taught him to sit, stay, and how to use steps.  In other words, he's the perfect trap.  We are currently in the time of the puppy life where we take him out every 3 hours for potty time.  That doesn't sound so awful until 2:30 am rolls around.  That time of night is awesome when you want to give positive enforcement for peeing outside, but you also don't want the police to be coming to pick you up for noise complaints.  All that being said, I highly recommend getting a Goldendoodle if you are in the market.  I'm allergic to just about everything, but the Goldendoodle has given me no problems at all.  I just hope my neighbors don't mind me saying, "Good boy" over and over again at 2:30 am like the guy from Lucky Dog.

Back to the good stuff now.


I put out an ask on Facebook for a place that has great steak fries in Georgetown, KY for me to review.  My office was moved out to Georgetown recently, and I don't know all of the good places to eat around here yet.  You say, "Rob, don't you live in Georgetown?  Didn't you graduate from Georgetown College?"  The answers to your questions are both, "Yes."  That doesn't mean I've been checking everything out here in the short time we've lived here.  Also I graduated in 1994.  Back then Georgetown's best fries were at the Georgetown College Grille.  That place doesn't even exist anymore.

Anyways.  Almost immediately one of my co-workers suggested Trindy's.  A quick search shows that Trindy's is a place that originally started in Cynthiana, KY - hometown of Todd Probus (late happy birthday buddy!).  Tracey and Mindy (Trindy) started up in 2015 there, and they moved into Georgetown in 2018.  This was all new to me, but their pictures showed great promise for steak fries.  I was introduced to the owner on Facebook Messenger, and the tasting was set up.  

It would be hard for me to be too much happier with Trindy's fries.  They are a good no nonsense steak fry.  At first I thought I wasn't going to be happy with the size of the to go box, as you will see from the pictures up above.  I've had many orders of fries over the years where a large to go box looks big, but it is not filling.  This was not the case here.  


As you can see from the picture above, the dumped out fries fill up a plate for each box.  They filled each box to the top which explains the hidden joy.  I was also worried about the quality, as the fries did make a trip across Georgetown to be delivered to my office.  Although the box did have some extra condensation, the fries themselves were in great shape once they hit the plate.  

The fries themselves look just perfect.  Lots of size difference which I look for.  Why would each fry be the same length after all?  That would just waste a lot of the potato.  Instead these fries have everything from a fry that will take 3-4 bites to ones that are perfectly bite-sized.  The skinnier fries had a bit of crisp without any fluffiness inside.  The fully formed steak fries themselves had no crisp at all to them.  This is not a bad thing, as many may remember my love for Texas Roadhouse steak fries.  These have that same kind of quality, but there is a main difference.  Trindy's somehow fully cooks these fries to be wonderfully soft throughout, but they don't have a heavy amount of grease on them.  They almost feel like they could have been baked if they didn't taste so good.  

There is a problem though.  Noted Trindy's enthusiast Sara Funkhouser said that she wasn't happy that the cook didn't add a lot of spice to the fries.  Spice on fries???  NO!!!  I did notice a few of the fries had a slight sprinkling of a red substance that some might call seasoned salt.  I would have thought it was paprika, but noted food enthusiast Chris Henry said it was likely Lawry's.  Luckily these orders did not have a large number of fries that were infected by such silliness.  It is a good note that you should request fries from Trindy's without the spice added.  

Final Verdict!!!

Trindy's is on the list guys!  These fries are wonderful, and they give you a great value for the price.  One order at $2.75 would be enough to satisfy me, and that's saying a lot.  I'm looking forward to trying out Trindy's more in the future.  They are open for carry out, and they have some outside seating as well.  Put me squarely in the group that supports Trindy's.  Go check them out!


Comments

Popular Posts