Oscar Diggs????

 I used to work with a guy who had no reservations about what he would eat.  The food looks like garbage?  He's in for it.  Smells like a skunk spent the night in a sewage plant?  Give him more.  He used to eat the most disgusting smelling microwaved burritos for breakfast, and it would stink up our whole office.  This guy (who I shouldn't name since I just insulted him for the past 6 sentences) loves Oscar Diggs.  He swore by it, and he always told me that I should check it out.  I never did mostly out of not trusting what the human garbage disposal was recommending to me.  Did I make a mistake?  Well Chris Henry, now you get to find out if I should have trusted you.  OOPS!  I named you.  Sorry man.

I was lucky enough today to have lunch with the extremely professional Camden Skidmore.  His request was to meet up at Oscar Diggs.  That gave me great pause due to the previously mentioned Chris Henry, but Camden is a true Lexington bon vivant.  If he says Oscar Diggs is good, I should give it a shot.  Being Christmas Eve Eve, downtown Lexington was dead.  We were able to get a nice table and order with no troubles.  

Oscar Diggs is the physical store that was built from the former food truck sensation known as Gastro Gnomes.  They are famous for their burgers, and their food truck fans are intensely loyal.  Naturally I ignored the burger and went for a nice order of fish and chips pictured below.



The fries are a natural cut style that appears to be made on site instead of frozen.  Loyal readers of this blog will know that normally is given a kiss of death (KOD) from me.  Natural cut fries made fresh are normally soggy and overcooked.  Most cooks/chefs just don't have the level of care necessary to make sure the fries go through the work needed to maintain a nice fluffy interior while having a bit of crisp on the outside.  Unfortunately fries are ignored instead of featured.  Normally this means they will be seasoned with some sort of abomination that further ruins the potato.  



I'm happy to report this is not the case at Oscar Diggs.  These fries were not soggy in the least which is a major accomplishment in my book.  They weren't crisp all over, but the edges were well done.  The best part is they didn't feel the need to hide their work with a non salt seasoning.  It's a decent fry here that kept a nice interior.  The fries were not the star of my meal by any means.  The fish was wonderful.  Still it was nice to see some natural cut fries where I finished everything in my order.  

Are these fries list worthy?  I'd say they are on the list.  Knowing my normal disgust with natural cut fries, this is a major admission.  Oscar Diggs is definitely worth your time for a lunch or dinner visit.  Camden Skidmore is a great guy to meet with, and Chris Henry is still Chris Henry.

I'm still looking for new places to review for this blog.  Let me know if there is a spot I haven't reviewed, and I'd be glad to bring you along for the experience!

Comments

Popular Posts