What I learned in Washington DC - fry edition

Welcome back everyone to Your French Fry List.  Today we will review the fries served at Delirium Cafe in Leesburg, VA.  I'll also let everyone know the truth about air fryers. 

My wife and I had the pleasure of visiting the Washington DC area last week.  We stayed with my step sister in law and her husband.  It seems strange to list them with those words, as they definitely are friends.  They also happened to be incredible hosts.  A trip to Washington DC is always planned around learning experiences.  This trip was no different thanks to our great hosts.

What should we do on our first day in DC?  You guessed correctly.  We went to a brewery.  What should we do after we had a flight of beers along with a tasty pretzel at that brewery if we are in the DC area?  Yep.  Go to another brewery!  Next?  How about a Cafe that specializes in the Delirium brand of beers?  Here is where our review starts. 

Our meal started with the best possible way for those with awesome taste (read as me).  An order of 3 soft pretzels.  The pretzels themselves were perfectly made.  Soft on the inside with a nice pretzel crust that gave a bit of resistance before breaking.  My only complaint was the pretzels only had salt on one side of the tips.  In the picture below you will see that my dining companions decided to really screw up a perfectly good order of fries by ordering them poutine style.  You all know the rules.  No toppings or spices!


The main course came out for me.  I chose the adventurous order of chicken tenders and fries.  Of course I did not use the dip on the picture below, as I am not a savage.  The fries are billed as Belgian style.  In my experience Belgian fries are thicker and fried twice.  These fries were more like classic style McDonald's before they screwed up by switching to "healthy" grease.  The fries were thinner fast food style like McDonald's.  They were crisp despite not looking like they had spent too much time in the fryer.  The softness of the fries' interior really brought home the quality of the experience.  Delirium Tremens was a great beer, but these fries are List Worthy!  They'd rank much higher if Delirium's chefs could resist the urge to toss a small amount of green stuff on the fries.  Was it green onions?  Parsley?  Who cares?  If I wanted to eat vegetables, I'd order them.  Stop trying to force your eating habits on me!


Yes we did visit some monuments that evening.  Yes it was a fantastic experience.  No I will not post pictures in this blog.  That's not what anyone comes here for!

My wonderful hosts also introduced me to a wonderful invention.


This picture shows some Ore Ida Golden Crinkles placed carefully into the pan that will go into an Air Fryer.  The chef (our host) spritzed the fries with olive oil before putting them into this wondrous machine.  My normal sensibilities were insulted at first.  Olive oil?  I believe in the joys of grease, beef tallow, or Crisco.  What is this olive oil garbage?  I was mistaken though, as 18 minutes later the fries came out PERFECTLY.  A few spritzes of fancy oil should not be able to make incredible french fries, but this machine made it happen.  Of course I had to try the machine out repeatedly to make sure this was not just some sort of fluke.  I took over as chef, and I spritzed more than the previous chef.  They still came out great!  The amazing thing is the taste is what I want out of deep fried fries, but these fries don't leave a greasy feel to the fries.  Am I losing my touch?  Am I turning healthy?  Nope.  I've asked to receive this as a gift from the same relative who was smart enough to give it to our hosts.  When I get this gift, I will spritz my fries with something besides olive oil.  You know I will be going to my local Taqueria, and I will get a spray bottle filled with beef tallow.  My fries will be the most amazing fries known to man.  At least to this man.  Air Fryer?  RUSH to buy one of these magnificent machines!

Finally allow me to sing the praises of 7 Eleven.  In particular the joys of the Slurpee.  Those of us in the Kentucky area just don't understand how much we are missing out on.  7 Eleven's Slurpee is not just an Icee in disguise.  It's not a Slushie either.  It's just awesome.  Even more awesome is the collector's cups that are available with the purchase of a large Slurpee.  7 Eleven - come to Kentucky!  If you are someone looking for a smart investment, bring 7 Eleven closer to me.  I'll keep your store open just by myself.  Thank you to Liberty and Jeremy for your hospitality.  I'll repay you with some Charlie's when you come back through Central Kentucky!


Comments

Popular Posts