Shake Shack - REVIEWED!!!!

Shake Shack is a legendary place in certain areas.  The Northeastern part of the United States loves this place, and Lexington was very excited to see Shake Shack come to town.  Shake Shack is a part of a fancy outdoor mall experience type of thing called the Summit at Fritz Farm.  This place has all kinds of fancy stores and other restaurants that are just begging you to come out in your fanciest clothes and spend tons of money.  If you've ever seen how college kids dress up to go to Keeneland, you've seen the crowd at the Summit at Fritz Farm.  This is not the place to visit if you've rolled out of bed and put on a hat.  Unless of course you don't care what others are thinking.  I showed up today in my finest superhero t-shirt with some fraying old green cargo shorts.  I am what the Summit at Fritz Farm would call an unwanted visitor.

Anyways this place was so hyped up that their fries deserved a review.  There are stories of lines out the store with waits of an hour just to get a burger, fries, and a shake.  Those people actually go back to visit again, so it must be awesome.  I'm not one for long lines, so I've waited this long.  I went at 3:00 to make sure there wouldn't be a line, so I could properly give this place a chance.

I walked in to Shake Shack with a great sense of excitement.  I was getting to try out what some might call the Holy Grail of french fries.  It would be like if I was trying out In and Out Burger.  I looked around, and I was 1 of 3 customers in the building.  I asked the woman at the counter what size orders they have for fries.  She showed me a small paper dish that was smaller than my hand, and she said that was the only size they had.  I ordered the fries and a chocolate shake.  Then my first surprise happened.


Yup.  You are seeing that receipt correctly.  $8.78 for a shake and an order of fries.  That's a small shake by the way, and calling their portion size of fries small would be a compliment.  We've now established that this is not the place to go for a shake and fries if you are looking for value for your cash.  I was still excited for the taste test.  I was given a buzzer and told that it would go off when my food was ready.  I parked myself at the nearest stool that was within sight of the kitchen.  No one really started up on my food for a good 3 minutes.  My excitement dwindled after more time past.  Finally the buzzer went off after 9 minutes.  9 minutes for a shake and an order of fries.  Time of service?  Not great.

Finally the review of the fries!!!


Don't be fooled by the picture of the fries.  My good friend Chip said it looked like a good size order when I texted him this picture.  I told him that the picture lies.  As I said before, the size of the order is smaller than my hand.  That may be good for those without large appetites.  For those of us who like to eat, you will be left wanting.

Don't let all of what I've typed so far confuse you.  These fries are the truth.  They come out hot and crispy, but they still melt in your mouth.  They have no bad aftertaste, as they come without any type of seasoning.  They are a nice golden crinkle, and they are all relatively uniform in size all about 3 inches or so in length.  I added a bit of salt to mine, and the crinkles held the salt in well.  On a scale of 1 to Charlie's Fish Market (currently #1 on the top 10 list), I give these fries an 8.  They would have been a 9 if the order size was larger, and they would have been a 10 if the order was cheaper.  I did kick around the idea of ordering more, but I didn't want to pay another $3 to wait 10 minutes to eat more.

Here's the deal.  You can't beat the taste of the fries at Shake Shack.  They have an incredible mouth watering taste while holding a great consistency of crispiness for well done fries.  You will want more after eating these, but that may be ok if you have a burger with your fries.  I did not try the burger, so I don't know if those are more filling.  I do know that I would expect to spend at least $25 to fill myself up.  I won't avoid Shake Shack in the future, but I won't go out of my way to eat there again due to the price and the wait involved.

Bottom line - price and wait leave these tasty fries off the list.

Comments

Popular Posts