Legit Contenders


Since the posting of my Top 10 fries, I've been inundated by questions, suggestions, and offers to sway my opinions.  The best offers have come from people offering free fries to see if they belong on the Top 10 list.  One of those suggestions has already been successful.  The Malone's/Harry's fries ordered crispy will definitely have a place on the list.  I've recently had the crispy fries as a to go order from Malone's.  They were still fantastic, and the quality did not suffer after the trip home from the restaurant.  Knowing that I missed Malone's/Harry's, I must open up to the fact that I may have missed others that belong.  Below are some recent attempts to prove that I'm wrong.  As you will see, some may have succeeded.  Others aren't quite there yet.  Remember to let me know your thoughts in the comments section of Facebook, reply on Twitter, or comment here on Blogger.

Bad Wolf Burgers



I know what you are thinking.  "Seriously Rob?  Another crinkle cut fry?"  I don't know what it is.  Maybe crinkle cuts are just easy to make perfectly.  That being said, I've been to plenty of places that fail in making them perfectly.  Bad Wolf Burgers does it right, and they do it in a refillable manner.  Yes, that's right.  You can get as many refills as you need on your fries at Bad Wolf Burgers.  Located off Broadway in Lexington, KY,  Bad Wolf made a big name for themselves during Burger Week (put on by the fine folks at Smiley Pete) with their Spadling Burger.  Spalding's is a local bakery that has an incredible glazed donut.  Bad Wolf made the burger with a donut as the bun.  That being said, I don't review burgers.  I just review fries.  I had not checked out Bad Wolf despite all the great reviews of their burgers.  Finally some new friends of mine recommended Bad Wolf for a lunch outing, and I could not have been happier.  The staff is friendly, and the place is very clean.  The fries are a medium sized crinkle cut roughly the size and consistency of the current number one Charlie's Fish Market fries.  The initial order received with the burger you will see in the picture above could be increased in size, but this is irrelevant thanks to the way you can get more at no cost.  These fries were cooked to perfection served hot which allowed me to devour the first order quickly.  The next order came in a full basket which is something that should be copied by Red Robin.  Where Red Robin comes back with a medium sized order that will be finished before the next refill comes, Bad Wolf gives you enough to satisfy even my ridiculous appetite.  The only thing that stops these fries from challenging for a top 2 spot on the list is their need to add spice.  In this case it is an occasional thick spot of pepper (I think).  Easily brushed off though.  Less picky eaters might never notice.  Great job Bad Wolf Burgers!  You just made the list!

Sawyer's


I actually hope that Jim Sawyer (owner/operator and all around awesome guy) never reads this blog.  My bet is that he would never let me live down the fact that I left his fries off of my initial list.  Sawyer's (and their fries) are kind of like the old college buddies that you have that you don't see every day.  You may not even see them every week, month, or year.  Still every time you get together, the friendship is still as strong as it was back in your college days.  Old jokes are recalled, conversations meander from current events to things you haven't thought about in decades, and the warm feelings remain.  These fries are like that, but they don't laugh with you.  They just give you a warm feeling inside.  The feeling is even stronger when you remember that you are supporting a guy like Jim Sawyer who treats everyone like they are the most important person on the planet.  The fries are a straight cut style that comes fresh out of the fryer to your table minutes after you order.  I'm not sure where these fries belong, but they are definitely list worthy.  

 Walker's of Lexington


My apologies for the lack of fries in the picture.  There was a good portion of fries served, but the majority were underneath the fish on the plate.  See Walker's is a place that prides itself on presentation as well as service and food quality.  I tried out Walker's on the recommendation of a friend who happens to own the best stand up arcade game of all time - Gorf.  If you don't know about it, you have to look it up.  If you disagree with me, you are wrong.  Anyways, the fries here were a little thicker than shoestring, and they were fried well.  Crispy enough while not too rigid.  Points are taken off for adding spice.  Unlike many other places, I understand why the spice is added at Walker's.  Walker's is catering to a much different clientele than someone who loves White Castle like myself.  That being said, their service is superb, and their fish was outstanding.  I will return to Walker's of Lexington, but their fries do not make the list.  

Keeneland's Clubhouse


Who order's french fries at Keeneland's Clubhouse?  You should be getting the buffet and enjoying bread pudding right?  Anyone who orders fries there must be someone who loses every bet they try there.  Well I'm the guy who orders the fries, and I'm the guy who lost bets.  Despite my love for most things Lexington, I've never been one who got excited by the ponies.  That being said, Keeneland is a magnificent place to visit.  I haven't read up on the history of the place, but it sure does look historic right?  The architecture is amazing unlike other horseparks which seem to exist just to grab money from the pockets of their customers.  Keeneland is instead an experience where you get to see folks with tons of money elbow to elbow with folks just scraping by paycheck to paycheck.  They are all there to enjoy the incredible atmosphere of Keeneland.  The other thing everyone there has in common is that if they ate these fries, they would get some of that green stuff in their teeth.  Yes.  These fries offend everyone by not understanding the simple rule of not adding to fries.  If you want to put green on your fries, serve it on the side.  Want to truffle them up?  Serve it on the side.  Same goes for every condiment or spice as well.  It's not that hard!  No list fries here.  Stay away from them.  Keeneland is still a great place, and the Clubhouse is a must visit if you get the chance.  Remember it's still a lot nicer than that place that holds the Kentucky Derby.

There you go.  4 contenders that have tried to break into the Top 10.  2 will make it.  Add in the other addition of Malone's/Harry's crispy fries, and you have 3 new entries.  Who is dropping off?  Frisch's, Nathan's, and Parkette.  Sorry guys.  There are only so many spots for crinkle cut fries, and your's are found wanting in the face of Malone's/Harry's and Bad Wolf Burgers.  Maybe things will change.  

What are your thoughts?  Have I been too cruel to those dropping off?  Have I ignored a different legit contender?  Let me know.  Until next time, keep the condiments and spices off your fries!




Comments

Popular Posts